Go Microwave-Free for a week!
Microwaves are in nearly every home. In today’s world, we all want things fast.
I get it! Heating a meal in in 5 minutes or less is pretty enticing – however are they completely safe for you and your family?
There’s a lot of controversy over this issue – so let me give you a little perspective…
– We know that microwaves release radiation into food, because that’s how they work. But it’s still not 100% clear whether or not microwaves release radiation into the environment.
There are articles that suggest they do in fact emit radiation, although the FDA has established that those are “safe” levels of radiation for a microwave.
(I personally do not trust the FDA, for too many reasons to name here)
– We do know that heating certain materials, like plastics, in the microwave can be harmful to our bodies by causing the BPA’s from the plastic to leach into our food.
Even when plastics labeled “Microwave Safe” and advertised for children were tested, they found it released toxic doses of BPA when heated in a microwave.
- Just the fact that “exciting the molecules to get hot” is a caution… because all contact with these excited molecules allow for damage to any living cell they come into contact with! If you read the instructions you’re supposed to wait 5 minutes after heating to allow the molecules to settle down before consuming…by then your food is cold!
- Although any type of cooking alters the nutrient value in food in some way or another, low and slow cooking seems to preserve most nutrients while faster methods of cooking such as microwave cooking, destroys more nutrients.
- Also, the taste you get when you prepare food in a microwave cannot compare to when you use traditional appliances like an old-fashioned stove!
So, even though the research jury is still out about microwave safety (not in my mind), your challenge this week is NOT to use it at all!
Use good ole’ fashioned pots and pans or a crockpot to prepare your meals. Traditional methods may take a bit more time, but it helps prepare healthier, safer, more tasteful food, and is totally worth it.
And let’s face it, it’s not like we have to chop wood and make a fire to use our stove anymore, so look at the time we’re saving!
Let me know in a comment below if you accept this challenge!
If you found this helpful please join my private forum here.